Cathedral Saint-Pierre and Saint-Paul
Flamboyant Gothic Style
Not to be missed : the tomb of François II, last duke of Brittany and the crypts
There is a stanza engraved on the back of the doors that tells us of when the first stones were laid in 1434, and with it one of the longest religious constructions in France was underway, building that wouldn’t be completed until 1893. Repair and restoration work was first undertaken after the 1972 fire and only finished once the cathedral had been returned to its original splendor. Behind the white-stone (and not in the more usual granite) of a double tower front, the nave rises to a full 37.5m - higher than at Notre-Dame in Paris.
The Tomb of François II
In the righthand transept lies the masterpiece of the sanctuary, the tomb of François II and Marguerite de Foix, parents of Anne of Brittany.. Ordered by Anne of Brittany This Renaissance masterpiece was made by Michel Colombe in 1507.
Not to be miss : the 11th century roman crypt actually hides the real treasure of the cathedral in the shape of a bigger second crypt dating back to the 19th century and today housing a permanent exhibition on the history of the cathedral.
Guides Tours with Nantes.Tourism.
Cathedral: in winter 8h30-18h - in summer: 8h30-19h
Access to the crypts: first Sunday of the month 14h30-18h - 1st of July / 27th of August, every day 10h-19h - Heritage Days (mid-September) 10h-18h.
Offices on Sundays and holidays at 10am and 7pm (no visit)
Entrance through the south transept's door (door near the tomb of the Dukes) accessible through a porch near the garden of the Psalette. Nantes Tourism's tips : difficult access, paved area and uneven terrain. The crypts are not accessible.