Jardin des plantes
Three centuries of botany, sea-faring and the green fingers of the gardeners have made the gardens what they are today with a touch of poesy by Claude Ponti. Café de l'Orangerie open for lunch with a beautiful terrace.
Its scientific reputation had already been built by the mid 18th century. In 1726 Louis the 15th ordered all ship’s captains to bring back to France seeds from the colonies and foreign lands. Opened to the public in 1829 and turned into an English garden in 1829, it continued to benefit from a never ending supply from the returning ships and the purchase of other rare varieties.
Four kilometres of paths, almost 600 fragrances and 500 varieties of bloom, including a large number of camellias and magnolias. Ranked in the top five biggest Victorian parks, it was certified Botanical Garden of Europe in 2000 and Park of Distinction by the Ministry of Culture in 2009.
From 2013 to 2016, the city's green spaces department collaborated with Claude Ponti to offer visitors amazing facilities each summer during the Voyage à Nantes.
In 2017, the collaboration ends with the creation of a permanent playground: Dépodépo.
Since the summer 2018, La Racinante, an installation by the artist Johann Le Guillerm, has been installed in the heart of the Garden.
From November 18 to January 14, 8:30 am > 5:30 pm
From January 15 to March 19 and from October 23 to November 17, 8:30 am > 6:30 pm
From March 20 to October 22, 8:30 am to 8:00 pm
For Pass Nantes holders : a bag of seeds offered for any visit of the Jardin des Plantes (delivered to the reception of the garden, open 7/7)
Le café de l'Orangerie is a bistro and tea room situated in the high part of the garden (15, rue Gambetta) and offering its guests a green isle of tranquility.
Open everyday 10.00 - 20.00 (last orders at 19.30). Closed from the end of December to the beginning of February.